Friday, October 17, 2008

Isaac Mizrahi Comes to Town




Designer Isaac Mizrahi made his San Francisco stop on his book tour for his new book How To Have Style in the sleepy suburb of Danville, close to where I live.

The event was planned by Rakestraw Books, a thriving independent bookstore in Danville. It was also a fundraiser in benefit of Wardrobe for Opportunity, an Oakland, California, based organization which provides its clients with clothing and accessories, head to toe outfits, for job interviews and, when the clients get jobs, with a week's worth of work outfits. Wardrobe serves both men and women.

As a fan on Isaac, I could not pass up the chance to meet him.

Many years ago I splurged on an Isaac Mizrahi jumper and still remember how elegant and fashionable I felt whenever I wore it. Most recently, I've been buying my Isaac Mizrahi clothing at Target...Isaac was the first "name" designer to make his clothing available at moderate prices.

At any rate, the event was at a local country club and started promptly at 7 p.m. with Isaac talking a bit about himself and his work. He answered audience questions and offered his advice on style. One of his words of wisdom was to treat yourself to a REALLY good haircut and color so you will know what your hair should look like when it is "right." When talking about his 8-year old Collie mix dog, Harry, he described Harry's energy by saying,"Harry is 8, which is the new 5." Lots of laughs from the audience.

After the formal part of the program, there was a receiving line and that's when I got to say hello, shake his hand, and even tell him about my "vintage" jumper.




The evening ended with a fashion show of Isaac's Target line, modeled by Wardrobe for Opportunity Clients.

A fun evening!

No comments: