Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do Sit Thai: Worth the Detour/Special Trip



Do Sit Thai Cuisine, hidden away in a corner of the Palos Verdes Mall Shopping Center in Walnut Creek looks like, from the outside, the kind of place where I would not stop, or even notice, had I not heard something about it. Sometime last summer I did notice it as I was on my way to Louie's veterinary hospital (Geary Vet) which is right next door.

Since Do Sit's location has been previously occupied by several other restaurants, usually Italian ones, I looked in, curious about the new tenants. On that summer day, there were no customers at mid-day, but I filed it away as a place to possibly have lunch with Mary Ann, our vet, on one of her work days. Also not in Do Sit's favor this summer was an expansion project in Palos Verdes Mall which made the restaurant almost inaccessible.

But, the owners hung in there and in the past few months, I've been hearing lots of good words about Do Sit.

Finally, yesterday, I met friends Molly and Mary Ann there for lunch.

When I arrived at 1 p.m., on the later side of lunch hour, the dining room was full.

With Molly's recommendations (she's been here several times) we made our selections from the Lunch Menu. The Lunch Menu includes just about all the à la carte menu items, in single portions, plated with jasmine rice and a salad. Lunch starts with a cup of Tom Kha, a flavorful Chicken Coconut Milk Soup.



Lunch dishes are priced between $7.95 and $9.95.

Molly ordered the Roasted Duck, boneless pieces of duck served on a bed of spinach. The duck was served with a side dish of brown sauce for dipping or mixing with the duck and/or the rice.



Mary Ann chose the Green Curry with Chicken (can be ordered with beef, pork, or seafood also) and green beans, eggplant, bell peppers and sweet basil.



My selection was the Garlic & Pepper Prawns.



As you can see from my photos, the servings are generous. Each dish that we ordered was tasty, well-prepared, and distinctive. We sipped hot Thai Tea with our meals.



Most Thai restaurants tend to serve the Thai Tea only as a cold drink blended with condensed milk. It was a treat to enjoy this sweet thick red tea as a hot beverage, with no added milk or seasonings. Even during the busy lunch hour, our server kept our cups filled with the tasty tea.

For the sake of "research," I ordered Thai Tea Ice Cream for us to share for dessert. As with our hot tea, it had the same red hue and was the perfect end to our lunch. The sweet ice cream was made even sweeter with a drizzle of honey on top and a Maraschino cherry garnish.



The dining room is both elegant and comfortable. We all will return!

Do Sit is open Monday through Saturday for lunch and every day for dinner.

Since lunch, I've learned that Do Sit is owned by the same family who own Manora's Thai in San Francisco and Similan Thai in Danville. Manora was where I first tasted Thai food many years ago. I consider myself very lucky to now be able to enjoy their food close to my home.

No comments: