Wednesday, March 18, 2009

COUNT ON WHOLE FOODS FOR HOLIDAY MEALS



For just about every holiday, I buy at least part of my meal, already-prepared, from Whole Foods.

It's not that I can't or don't like to cook. It's more about not always having the time and, even more importantly, because I am often just cooking for the two of us, it is not easy to prepare just enough of a holiday meal for just that day with maybe another day's worth of leftovers.

Also, for certain holiday meals, particular the Jewish holidays, J and I like different foods. At Whole Foods I can buy brisket for him and chicken for me; a potato latke for him, a parsnip latke for me. We can get enough chopped liver for just one meal. It works for us!

So yesterday, for St. Patrick's Day, our choices were Whole Food's Corned Beef Dinner for Two ($19.95) or going out to eat. I did not have the time nor inclination to cook corned beef and cabbage and the Whole Foods meal was just too too tempting.

The above photo is what we got: a pound of lean corned beef, cabbage with apples and cranberries, roasted potatoes, turnips, and carrots. And, to go with it, a loaf of Irish Soda Bread. All I needed to do was to put the pan in the oven and warm it up...they would have heated it, had I wanted them to.




I did add dessert: three mini pastries; two mini key lime tarts and one two-bite chocolate brownie. Their mini pastries cost $17.99 a pound. These three cost a little over $3.00, perfectly fair.

Tonight we will eat the leftovers including the mini cupcake...the key lime tarts were just enough dessert for us last night.

No comments: