Sunday, February 8, 2009

CASUAL DINING...GREAT BBQ!



Two weeks post-op of a biggie knee surgery, I decided that J needed a break from being my personal chef.

Thinking of a comfortable restaurant close to home where no one would mind if I elevated my leg on a chair, I thought of Sunrise Bistro, one of my longtime favorites for healthful casual food at moderate prices.

Over the many years that Sunrise has been in Walnut Creek, just a short walk from Broadway Plaza and the Walnut Creek Downtown Century Cinemas, it has remained a busy popular spot for breakfast and lunch. From time to time, they've opened for dinner but haven't attracted a big enough crowd, I guess, to make it worth their efforts.

I am hoping that what they've been doing for the last 6 months or so with their dinner service will be a "keeper." They are open for dinner Wednesday through Sunday evenings. In addition to selections from their daytime menus of sandwiches, salads, and soups, Sunrise now has a full Barbecue menu which includes Baby Back Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, Tri-Tip and Pulled Pork. And, they offer options on serving size...small and full. All the Barbecue meals come with your choice of two Fixin's and a Jalepeno muffin.

My choice last night was a small portion of the Baby Back Ribs...as you can see from the photo, it certainly isn't small. My Fixin's choices were cole slaw and sweet potato mash. J ordered, and finished, a big order of Brisket with Collard Greens and Sweet Potato Mash as his Fixin's choices.

For dessert, we couldn't manage a big slice of Red Velvet Cake, much as I wanted to try it, but, instead, each had a very large chocolate chip cookie...we each took half a cookie home.

Sunrise has always been a health-conscious restaurant and features many vegetarian items on its menu. Its menu now indicates which items have sugar as one of the top three ingredients...a new way to guide those watching their sugar intake in their choices. Sunrise makes all its baked goods in house. I never tire of their Herbed Bread...always my choice when I order a sandwich.

Our tasty meals, with a glass of wine for J and a glass of OJ for me (I'm not yet cleared for wine), came to less than $40, not including tip.

No comments: