Friday, February 8, 2013

NEW PLACE FOR LUNCH ON UNION SQUARE



I'm often downtown San Francisco for shopping, theatre, meetings, and appointments. And, I'm always looking for places to have lunch, whether by myself or with whomever I might be meeting.

Last week, I stopped at Tout Sweet in Macy's Union Square to try some of their macarons. A Macaron, as opposed to a Macaroon, is a French sandwich cookie made of two flavored meringue disks with a flavored filling inside. I had read that Tout Sweet partner, pastry chef Yigit Pura, was featuring his Macarons here.



There are several bakeries in the Bay Area that make Macarons and you can even buy them frozen at Trader Joe's, but it is the freshly-made ones, often in colors to match their flavors, that are the best.

To my delight, Tout Sweet has Macarons in several flavors and much more.

In fact, this cheery café, overlooking Union Square from Macy's third floor, serves light meals and snacks, coffee, tea, and wine.

I stayed for lunch and indulged in the Sous Vide Poached Egg Sandwich (poached egg, leek-fennel marmalade, melted gruyére cheese...on a gougère puff), a pot of Le Palais des Thés tea (from France), and two Macarons.

Tout Sweet is bright and cheery.



The window-side tables are popular, so don't be shy about asking to share a table if you see an available spot. That's what I did and enjoyed a nice chat with my tablemate, a local woman who has made Tout Sweet her "regular" lunch spot when she's downtown.

I expect that she and I will meet again soon as I know I'll be back for more Macarons and to try their salads, soups, and other sandwiches.  Or, maybe I'll stop in before a show one evening for a glass of wine and a cheese platter.


Also, Tout Sweet sells an appealing array of packaged candy, dessert sauces, fruit curds, jams, and marmalades...perfect for enjoying at home or for a gift for the host of that dinner party you are attending this weekend. 

Tout Sweet is open during Macy's business hours. So, stop in for breakfast, lunch, a light dinner, or a snack.  

No comments: