Friday, March 2, 2012

Getting oriented in Palm Springs

Today has been sort of a lazy day while I transition from "frantic at-home" mode to laid-back desert life.

I started my day swimming laps in our pool. Early in the day I usually have the pool to myself.

Jim was even more active, walking over four miles around town.

After his walk, he relaxed in the hot tub by the tennis courts.

After lunch, I walked into downtown Palm Springs to see what is new and what is the same.

En route, I admired the 50s architecture that is so prevalent here.

My best retail discovery was that Oh La La, probably the nicest store for women and children in Palm Springs, has just about tripled its size since last year. More nice stuff and they sell shoes and dog stuff too.

Of course I spent some time in The Alley looking for bargain treasures. Nothing too exciting today unless you need some new high-fashion reading glasses that were attracting many who were shopping there.

Planning for lunches out in the week ahead, I walked by Tyler's, a popular burger place in an interesting building. The aroma of fried onion rings was enough to draw me in, even at 2 p.m. In the afternoon. I resisted, but even at the off- hour, there was a line waiting to get seated. Best burgers in town!





Our day finished up with dinner with Mary and Bill, friends from home who now spend about half their year down here.



We met at Trio for an early dinner to take advantage of their Fixed Price three-course early dinner which is priced at $19 and served from lunch time until 6 p.m.

While many restaurants now offer an early dinner, Trio's is the one that most appeals to me.

Jim and I ate here last year when the restaurant was new. We loved the food and the hip atmosphere.

This was our first time for the early dinner.

From about a dozen first courses and entrees, all of which are on the a la carte menu, we had a wide variety from which to choose.




Our first course selections were Fried Artichokes, Caesar Salad, Fried Calamari, and Roasted Beet salad.

All our first courses were superb.

Then we went on to our main dishes. Again, each was perfectly prepared and so delicious.

In order above, they were Oven-roasted filet of sole, Pot Roast, Roast chicken, and St. Louis Spare Ribs.

The servings were so large that all of us, but Jim with his sole, took home some of our food.

I'm impressed that even with a bargain-priced meal, service was gracious and attentive. When Bill asked to not have the garlic mashed potatoes with his chicken, our server immediately suggested he be served a larger portion of the accompanying vegetables.

There were only two dessert choices on the fixed price dinner: Macaroon Bread Pudding or and Ice Cream Sundae. We all had the sundae.

Wonderful dinner with good friends.

Jim and I are planning to return again next week to try more of the menu.

No comments: