Tuesday, December 9, 2008

DINNER FROM ZINGERMAN'S


I had never heard of Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan, until a few weeks ago when I received one of their catalogs in the mail..along with several other catalogs trying to tempt me with Holiday shopping ideas.

My usual policy with mail-order catalogs is to throw out those that come from businesses I do not know.

But, something about the Zingerman's catalog caught my attention and I started reading its entertaining contents. I was fascinated by descriptions of its deli foods, sourcream coffee cakes, freshly-baked rye and pumpernickel breads, and lean corned beef.

Also, J's birthday is today and Louie and I couldn't think of something unusual and fun to get him...does he really need another shirt or sweater from Nordstrom?

Not wanting to act without a good reference, I emailed our dear friends, the S's, including their son who went to college in Ann Arbor. They raved about Zingerman's, comparing it to Zabar's in New York City.

So Louie and I ordered the "Sherman's Sure Choice Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich Kit for 2." When I was placing the order, the web site conveniently advised me that I could spend a few more dollars for the same shipping charge...not wanting to pass up a "deal," I added Homemade Chopped Liver and a Pumpernickel Bread to the order. Such a deal, no?

Zingerman's ships perishable foods by Overnight UPS..it costs a fortune, but so do many shirts at Nordstrom...and you can't eat them.

The box arrived today.



The Corned Beef Reuben Kit was packed in a large waterproof tote bag.




It included a pound of corned beef, containers of potato salad, cole slaw, Russian dressing, two garlicy dill pickles, four slices of Swiss cheese, a loaf of rye bread (made wth real rye flour), and two very chocolately Magic Brownies.







The Kit came with detailed instructions for heating the bread and the corned beef and for then assembling the sandwiches.






And, while I was heating stuff, we snacked on Chopped Liver.





We used one Brownie as a Birthday Cake!



By the way, I am guessing that Zingerman's makes much bigger sandwiches than I do.This Kit for 2 has enough for us to have another two sandwiches tomorrow night. Yum!



And, Happy Birthday, J!

No comments: