Thursday, August 7, 2008

BBQ at BACK FORTY

So last night, it was off to Back Forty in Pleasant Hill for some of their "Award Winning Texas Barbecue."


We've been fans of Back Forty for more years than I can count.

I really do love their sauce and a meal here is always a great value.

In the current Pleasant Hill location, where they moved about a year ago, things have gone a bit more upscale than at their previous place in a strip mall in Pleasant Hill. This building they built from scratch and it sits on its own lot, not far from busy Highway 680. It's a great stop if you are traveling along 680 and want a good meal.



The lot on which Baby Forty sits has a heritage Oak tree, around which they have built their outdoor dining area.

I ordered, my "usual," Sliced Roast Turkey. Meals come with your choice of two "Fixins" (side dishes). Last night, I chose Sweet Potato Fries and Cole Slaw. J just about always orders the Roast Pork..his sides were Onion Rings and Cole Slaw.

Knowing that portions are rather large, we decided to order from the Lone Rangers part of the menu...for Juniors and Seniors. My Turkey cost $8.19 and J's Pork was $8.69 for the meal with the Fixins and a dessert...can't afford to eat at home with prices like this. I had Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for dessert and J had Banana Puddin'.

The menu informed us that the Banana Puddin' is an Austin Texas traditional specialty, which they make fresh every day.

With two glasses of wine, our bill was under $30 and we left happy and satisfied.

For the record, if we had ordered the full servings of Turkey and Pork, their prices are $14.99 and $14.49, respectively. Had we gone that route, we would have had leftovers to take home, but we most likely would not have ordered dessert.

A basket of warm muffins, cornbread, and biscuits is served with all meals, accompanied by butter and jam.

At this new location, the Pleasant Hill Back Forty also offers several Steaks, Catfish, and Salmon as entrees.

Of course, Back Forty serves BBQ'd Ribs...Pork Ribs and Beef Ribs. My person taste in ribs is for Baby Back ribs and they don't serve them; only the larger ribs...so no ribs here for me, but, I am not complaining.

If it's a sandwich I am after, I like the Turkey, Pulled Pork, or Hot Link Sandwiches. Sandwiches are served with one Fixin'. J recommends the Brisket Sandwich and orders it "lean" rather than "juicy."

Back Forty is famous at the Rib Cook-Off in Reno/Sparks Nevada. They go every year and usually come home with a prize or two for their barbecue and for their tasty sauce. This year's Cook-Off is August 26 - 31...check them out if you are up that way.

Here's one more view of the fabulous Oak Tree and a peek at the dining patio:



Back Forty has other locations in California in Roseville, San Ramon, and Shingle Springs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marcia and I just ate there Sunday night. That is my night either to cook or treat, and I had a yen for spare ribs.

M ordered from the Long Ranger menu, but I opted for the half slab of ribs. They were even better than I had remembered.

We were seated very promptly, and the service was fine.