Monday, July 21, 2008

ANOTHER FRIDAY FOR SHOPPING

Friday shopping is starting to become a habit. This past Friday...7/18...I was up at 5:30 a.m. not to get in line for another iPhone, but, rather, to get to my local Nordstrom for the start of the Anniversary Sale. This is a terrific once-a-year event when the store brings out many of it new items for the Winter season. The entire store is on sale...that means, men's, women's, children's, and gifts and home stuff too.

Now, granted, shopping for winter clothing in the middle of July is not everyone's cup of tea, but at discounts on some items close to 40% off what will be full retail prices in a few months, I can handle it. And, the stores are air conditioned so, what's the problem with tryng on Winter coats and pants?



My Nordstrom opened at 7 a.m. on this, the first day of the sale. I got to the door at 6:55 a.m. and they had already let customers in.

First thing I noticed was that there was no complimentary coffee table by the entrance...hmmm...is Nordstrom cutting back on customer amenities?

Undaunted, I headed for jewelry and shoes...got a few pairs of earrings. Next on my mission was a Nike workout outfit for a young friend who is turning 21. As I started up the escalator, I spied, in the men's department, not only the coffee table but, also on it, Danish pastries and muffins. At the second floor, I headed for the down escalator for my coffee and what had to be the world's best pain raisin, raisin danish.

With proper nourishment, I headed back up to the second floor where I bought the Nike outfit.

From there on, I was in sort of free fall mode...I wandered from department to department...two pairs of winter slacks, a dressy top, another birthday gift for a friend, a black sweater, some cosmetics...I was truly in heaven and remained in the store until about 11 a.m.

When I emerged for air, I made a quick run over to the Apple store




where, one week later, there was still a long line waiting to buy an iPhone! I said hello to one of the assistant managers who gave me a bottle of Watermelon water, what Apple retail is handing out to its customers who are patiently waiting in line.


This Friday, I promise myself, I will get some work done to pay for all my shopping.



One final Nordstrom note: The Anniversary sale runs through August 3.

No comments: