Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Birthday Dinner at Prospect

For my birthday earlier this year, I chose Prospect in San Francisco for my birthday dinner.

Never having been to Prospect, but knowing that it was voted by the SF Chronicle as one of the top 100 Bay Area restaurants for 2015, I wanted to try it.

Chef Nancy Oakes of famed Boulevard in San Francisco has partnered with chef Pamela Mazzola and director of operations Kathy King to create and operate Prospect, a more casual and modern restaurant a few blocks away from Boulevard. I've been a fan of Nancy Oakes since her first restaurant of her own, L'Avenue (1988) in San Francisco's Richmond District.

From the moment we walked into Prospect, I felt welcomed and comfortable. The food is as elegant as it is at Boulevard, but I prefer Prospect's more casual, but sophisticated, vibe.

We splurged on the Hudson Valley Foie Gras Terrine, which we shared as a starter. It was garnished with Black Mission Fig Preserves and Candied Wild Pecans. The Toasted Brioche that accompanied it was so tasty, I could have eaten it just by itself.


I drank a wonderful Matthias et Emile Roblin Loire Valley Sancerre with my meal...perfect with the foie gras and perfect with the meal.

 

Our main courses were King Salmon for Jim and Alaskan Halibut for me


We shared the season fresh Peach Buckle for dessert. It was festively decorated for my birthday celebration.

Prospect's menu regularly features many of the same main ingredients. But, for each season, the preparations and garnish changes to incorporate what is fresh at the time.  I can't wait to return.


No comments: