Wednesday, June 27, 2012

IKEA with Sue & Dixie


My Christmas gift to Sue, my 99-year-old friend, was a day of shopping at IKEA, lunch included.

It took us until this week to finally get there. Dixie came along with with us. We arrived shortly after opening time and started wandering through the room displays.

Even if I am not shopping for furniture, or for anything for my home, I am always fascinated with the rooms. I get ideas for ways I can change things at home. I love the detail that IKEA puts into its room displays. Not only is there furniture, lighting, wall treatments, and flooring, but there are books on bookshelves, items on other shelves, and all cabinets are packed full of dishes, linens, and everything else that most of us put away out of sight.

What is so special about the room displays is that you see actual room or apartment layouts and can see how the space works and, of course, try out the furnishings. We all took advantage of chairs for short rest breaks.

This was our favorite chair; it can be covered with a wide variety of fabrics, made out of different woods, and comes with an optional foot rest.


We stopped for lunch in the IKEA restaurant.


By the time I got around to taking this picture, we'd finished our lunch which included Swedish Meatballs in Gravy, a Chicken Caesar Salad, Vegetable Medallions, Steamed Vegetables, Apple Cake, Marzipan Cream Cake, Coffee and Tea.


Just about all the foods that are served in the Restaurant, and many more packaged items, are sold in IKEA's Swedish Food Market, which is right in the store. Both Dixie and Sue came home with bags of Swedish Meatballs...Sue also bought Lingonberry Jam, Dixie added cookies to her purchases and I bought Apple Cake.

 And, all of us made other purchases from the store: Throw rugs, hangers, bag fasteners, a laptop lap desk, and more. We are already planning our next outing to IKEA.

No comments: